miniheader_stjohns

whitespace2

Home | About Us | History of St John's

History of St John's

In its early days the village of Dapto was a mining, timber cutting and farming community, but now it is an expanding town with a busy shopping centre, several primary and high schools, and lovely parks. 

1839

Father Petre was authorised by the government to begin a Church school at West Dapto. Mr John Haynes was the teacher. Enrolment was 25 pupils.

1880

Education Act: Government withdrew State Aid from Church schools. No State Aid until about 1963. Large classes. No money. Catholic community built schools.
Sisters of St Joseph come to West Dapto to run the school. School known as St Joseph's School until 1968. Enrolment - 40 children.

Influence of Mary McKillop: Catholic, child-centred and caring.

1900

With the coming of rail travel to Dapto, Mary McKillop moved the Sisters to Jerematta Street. Annex was the church/school moved from West Dapro.

1910

Tremendous poverty; school took on boarders and orphans. They lived on the verandahs of the convent. Acquisition of the top paddock - Father Ward Playground.

1958

First Stage of Werowi Campus constructed

1965

St Anne's College opened, Years 7-10

1968

School becomes known as St John's School

1975

Second stage of Werowi Campus constructed - hall and classrooms

1980

100 years since the Sisters of St Joseph came to Dapto. Dapto an important Josephite centre with nearly 20 sisters living in and working for the convent.

1984

St Anne's College closes. St Joseph's regional High School, Albion Park opens. Primary school expands to St Ann's campus.

1997

First Lay Principal, Mrs Marie Debusch appointed to St John's School

2000

Celebrates 100 years of Catholic Education on Jerematta Street site. 162 years of Catholic Education in Dapto

2011

The new Library, Mini Hall and Office refurbishments are opened. Funded by the Federal Government’s ‘Building an Education Revolution Program’

group_waving